Tennessee Reconnect is a state program, beginning in the fall semester of 2018, which allows eligible adult students to earn a college degree tuition-free. Vol State is one of the participating community colleges.
Why Vol State?
We know that it’s not enough to just attend college- you need to do well in college. It may have been years since you attended high school or achieved your high school equivalency. We’re experts at getting adult students up to speed in math and English. We’re here to help you succeed.
To be eligible for TN Reconnect, you must:
- Not already have an associate or bachelor degree
- Have been a Tennessee resident for at least one year preceding the date of application for the grant
- Fill out a TN Reconnect Application. The TN Reconnect application will be available in the eGrands computer system in April 2018. We will post that link here when it becomes available.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Be deemed an independent student. An independent student is defined as one of the following: at least 24 years old, married, a graduate or professional student, a veteran, a member of the armed forces, an orphan, a ward of the court, or someone with legal dependents other than a spouse, an emancipated minor or someone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. See complete list here.
- Apply to Vol State, be admitted, and enroll in a degree or certificate program at least part-time (6 semester hours).
- Participate in a college success program
In order to maintain the TN Reconnect grant, you must enroll in classes leading to an associate’s degree or certificate, maintain a 2.0 GPA, and maintain continuous enrollment.
Adults who meet all the requirements will receive a last-dollar scholarship, which is equal to the difference between tuition and fees and any gift aid (grants and scholarships) that a student receives.
- You can apply to Vol State online. There is no application fee.
- Start the FAFSA process
- Return to this site April 2018 to apply for TN Reconnect
- Check out our Prior Learning Assessment program -- you could get academic credit for previous learning.
- We also have an Academic Fresh Start program for students who attended Vol State in the past and may not have done so well.
If you have questions at any point in the process, we’re here to help.