Vol State currently conducts two commencement ceremonies each year, one at the end of the Fall semester and one at the end of the Spring semester. Summer graduates participate in the following Fall ceremony. Participation in Commencement is optional, but strongly encouraged. Participating in the ceremony in no way confirms completion of requirements or official graduation. All program requirements must be completed before the credential can be posted to the student's transcript or diploma.
Due to the timing of grade entry at the end of each term, graduation honors to be included in the ceremony and on transcripts for degree seeking students are calculated based on the student's previous term GPA. All college level courses, including transfer work, will be included in calculating honors.
Student names will appear in the Commencement program as listed in our system. If a student has had a name change, an Update Student Record Form along with official documentation must be submitted to the Office of Records & Registration.
We strongly encourage all Graduates to attend the Commencement Ceremony. This is a time for you, your family and friends, instructors, and college staff to celebrate your achievement!
Commencement Ceremony Checklist
If you plan to participate in the Fall 2017 commencement ceremony, please make sure to do the following:
- Your cap and gown has been purchased by the college for you to keep as a memento of this great accomplishment. ANY STUDENT PLANNING ON PARTICIPATING IN THE COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY MUST ORDER A CAP AND GOWN THROUGH THE BOOKSTORE BY NOVEMBER 10. Caps & gowns are ordered based on height measurements. If you should fall out of the range of standard sizes in either height or weight (small, medium, large) please ask the bookstore about sizing options. You may discuss sizing either by phone or in person. Be prepared to supply approximate height and weight to the bookstore staff. Please contact the Bookstore at 615-230-3636 or 1-888-335-8722 ext. 3636. The Bookstore is located in the Wood Campus Center, Room 212.
- Graduation Announcements will be available in two choices: personalized and standard. Students may visit the Herff-Jones website to order custom graduation invitations. Standard announcements are available at the bookstore.
- Applicants graduating with honors may order honor accessories through the Bookstore when picking up their cap and gown. The Bookstore will have a list of all prospective graduates that qualify for honors.
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society graduates may order PTK honor accessories. Leave time for shipping!
- Veterans: A special cord to identify your veterans status can be purchased through the main campus bookstore. Please verify your veterans status and graduation with the Coordinator of Veterans Affairs office, 615-230-3444, so they can pass the information to the bookstore.
- GradImages is the official photographer for the commencement ceremony. The company contacts all graduates via email with information on commencement photo proofs, prices, etc.
- You will receive an email when your cap and gown is available for pick up. Please pick those up no later than December 8 at the Bookstore. Tickets for your guests will be given to you at this time.
- Attendees with physical challenges: Attendees who use wheelchairs will be directed to a section at the front of the gym, left of the stage.
There will be a limited number of seats on the floor for attendees who cannot ascend/descend the bleachers. These seats will be in a reserved section and only stamped ticket holders will be allowed to sit in this section. Each graduate will be allowed up to two tickets that they can get stamped for this purpose. Tickets can be stamped in the Office of Disability Services, Wood Campus Center, 108. Tickets will be provided on a first come, first serve basis. In addition to the marked accessible parking spots throughout campus, there will be an additional section reserved for cars with state accessible tags. Please call the Office of Disability Services at 615-230-3472 if you need additional information.
- Contact the Office of Disability Services if you have special needs for the Commencement ceremony.
- Attend Graduation Rehearsal on December 15 at 10:00 am at the Pickel Field House in the Gymnasium. It is extremely important for all participants to attend rehearsal.
- Arrive by 9:00 am at the Pickle Field House and then in your designated room by 9:30 am on the day of Commencement, December 16.
- Please complete our graduate surveys.
Following is approved regalia for commencement:
- GPA Honor Graduates – Gold Tassel
- United States Veterans – Red, White & Blue Cords
- Lambda Epsilon Chi (LEX), Paralegal Honor Society – Purple Sash with Gold Society Letters
- Vol State Academic Honors Program – Red Ribbon with a Bronze Honors Program Medallion
- Sigma Chi Eta, Community College Honor Society of the National Communication Association – Red & White Cords
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society – Gold Key Honors Stole, Blue & Gold Cords, and/or Blue Cord with Golden Key Medallion
- Sigma Alpha Pi, The National Society of Leadership and Success – Platinum Stole with Black Society Letters and/or Black & Platinum Cords
- Sigma Kappa Delta, The English Honor Society for 2-Year Colleges – Gold & Green Cords
- Kappa Beta Delta, International Honor Society for ACBSP Accredited Business Programs – Royal Blue Stole with Black & Gold Key and/or Blue & Yellow Honor Cords
Tickets are required for admission