Academic advisors are assigned to all students enrolled at Vol State. Academic advisors are committed to helping students meet their educational needs in many ways:
- Assist students in planning an educational program consistent with their interest and abilities
- Help students clarify career goals
- Monitor a student's academic progress
- Clarify degree requirements
- Assist with the registration process
- Provide information on course substitutions and transfer requirements
- Assist with understanding a degree audit within DegreeWorks
- Assist with the graduation application if assigned advisor is not available
- Serve as a student advocate
The Advising Center is located in the Ramer Administration Building Suite 174. It is available to serve the advising needs not only of degree-seeking students but also for the non-degree-seeking students. Students will be assigned to an advisor who specializes in working with their chosen degree program.
Normal operating hours for the Advising Center are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Students may visit, call (615) 230-3702, or email email@example.com, but are encouraged to make an appointment with their assigned academic advisor during the fall and spring semesters.
The Advising Center is also typically open Monday through Thursday from 4:30 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. while classes are in session. (For fall 2017, the 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. hours commence on Tuesday, September 5.) During these hours, a student can walk-in to meet with an advisor without making an appointment. The Advising Center staff will collect forms (i.e. change of major, Drop/Add, Financial Aid PLANS, etc.), assist with general student information, accept payments for items appearing on the student account, and issue parking decals. If you need assistance from the Advising Center during the extended hours, please contact us at (615) 230-3701.
Making the Most of your Advising Appointment
- Make an appointment with your Faculty Advisor well in advance.
- Arrive on time for your appointment.
- Review catalog requirements and schedule of classes before the advising appointment. Write down any questions you may have.
- Take appropriate materials with you such as forms and transcript evaluations.
Follow up on any referrals and recommendations made by your faculty advisor.